Thursday, November 19, 2009


Well, we had quite a night last night! I was in the kitchen and had just called Mom to come to the table for dinner. All of a sudden she called out my name and I turned just in time to see her go down behind the couch. When I got to her, she was bleeding and moaning. The doctors later kept asking if she had lost consciousness but I don't think she did. Anyway, she had a laceration down the middle of her forehead where she had hit the bookcase. I was able to get a good bandage to hold it together until someone could figure out how bad it was.

I moved the couch and tried to get her to stand up but I couldn't budge her. If it hadn't been a difficult situation, I could have laughed at her. She rolled to her stomach and laid there with her face in the carpet and her arms beside her saying, what do I do now? I was able to get her to her knees and holding on to the couch when someone knocked at the door. What terrible timimg! (However, I think that it helped Mom get up because she didn't want to be seen on the floor.)

Well, it turned out that the person at the door was the son of our neighbor, but I saw him as an angel. He had come to remind us that our sprinkler (which was broken by the gardener) was shooting into his parents' yard. We talked a minute and just as he was leaving, I asked if he could come in and help me get Mom up and into the car. It turns out he is a former paramedic and now a police officer. Also, his mother-in-law had Alzheimer's and had lived with them for 5 years. He knew exactly what to do and how to get her to do what he asked her to.

I got her to the Emergency Room and, because of her age and the wound being on the head, they pushed her up the line. They asked the same questions 3 times by 3 different people before we got to a bed. They took a CT scan and x-rays, blood and urine specimens and even fed her just before we left. She hadn't had dinner and was getting hungry although not shaky. A dinner meal had been brought for another patient who left before eating so they gave it to us. It was a chicken with pasta and broccoli entree which she likes and, I think, we won't even have to pay for it!

They didn't stitch the cut because it was superficial--they glued it! Check out the mug shot. The doctor tried to reassure her that it would be less noticeable because it was right in the middle instead of off center. It will be awhile though before it isn't noticeable.

We left for the hospital about 6:30 p.m. got home about 11:00 p.m. But, hey! I didn't have anything better to do with my evening anyway. We will go see her primary doctor today at 11:00 a.m. The ER doc thought it was one of her meds that was making her heart rate slow too much which caused dizziness. We'll see. That's what they usually do after her being in the hospital--change the meds.

Dave was up in Klamath Falls, Oregon, about 8 hrs away. So, he will be in tonight. Since I did not have a POA (Power of Attorney) for her, it could have gotten sticky without him there. I didn't think I would need her living trust with me because I didn't see a need. It could have come up though. The doctor asked about a pacemaker or possible other remedies. Must give this some more thought.

Life goes on and we make adjustments so we fit into it better. Or, you could all go "kaysi" with me.

No comments:


Shaving with Granddad

Rhapsody of Excitement